03/02/08 S. Korea Seoul

Long flight but make it in the end. We catch a bus to our hostel and get picked up by the hostel owners. It is bittlerly cold.

Get to the hostel, where I expect to see my mate Simon who should have arrived earlier that day. Owner informs me that he emailed to say that he had missed his flight and was currently stuck at Bangkok airport. Ha!

We are staying in an area called Hongdae, which surrounds Hongik University. Hongdae has a lively café culture and an even more active nightlife. We decide to go out and try some of the local food. We don't know anything about Korean food so chose a restaurant that looks very lively. We go in and automatically everyone starts talking to me in Korean. (This happesn non stop during the entire trip and everyone keeps saying, 'you look Korean'!). We have no idea what to order because the menu is in Korean. We look around us and everyone is eating a dish that is cooked on their table in a red soup like base. We order one of these for ourselves and it cooks on our table on a little gas burner. When it comes to eating it, pal takes a bite and automatically spits it out. I try it and it is SO hot!! My mouth burns and I begin to sweat, but we only just arrived in the place and I don't want to be rude by leaving so I persever and eat half of it. After half of the dish, I feel kind of faint. I do not feel very well and I'm positive my taste buds have been burnt away! Note to self - do not eat anything that is covered in red stuff!! red = chilli's!!

We quickly leave, with me feeling not very well and go to a Japanese restaurant so poor pal can eat.

There is a great night market in the area so we look around. After we go for a coffee and then back to the hostel utterly exhausted!

No comments: